Contact us at (403) 209-2248 or

Are you required to file your personal tax returns?

You must file your personal return if:

    • You have to pay tax for the year
    • Want to claim a refund
    • You want to claim the Canada workers benefit (CWB) or you received CWB advance payments in the year
    • You or your spouse or common-law partner want to begin or continue receiving the following payments (including any related provincial or territorial payments):
    • Canada child benefit (CCB)
    • GST⁄HST credit
    • Guaranteed income supplement (GIS)
    • If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return.
    • CRA sent you a request to file a return
    • You and your spouse or common-law partner are jointly electing to split pension income. See lines 115001160012900, and 21000
    • You disposed of capital property (which could be a principal residence) or you realized a taxable capital gain in the year
    • You have to repay all or part of your old age security or employment insurance benefits. See line 23500
    • You have not repaid all the amounts you withdrew from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) under the Home Buyers’ Plan or Lifelong Learning Plan
    • You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) for 2019. This can apply if your total net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500. See line 22200
    • You are paying employment insurance premiums on self-employment income or other eligible earnings. See lines 31217 and 42120
    • You have incurred a non-capital loss in the year that you want to be able to apply in other years. See line 23600
    • You want to transfer unused tuition fees or carry forward unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts to a future year. See line 32300
    • You want to report income that would allow you to contribute to an RRSP, a pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), or a specified pension plan (SPP) to keep your RRSP deduction limit (see Schedule 7) for future years up to date
    • You want to carry forward to a future year the unused investment tax credit on expenditures you incurred during the current year. See line 41200
%d bloggers like this: